Thursday, December 2, 2010

Turkey Day

Since this week is Thanksgiving break and I will be heading home to California, my blog will be a brief one.  Please, try not to be too upset.

It was far too easy to get caught up in the excitement of the upcoming break this week and I had to continuously remind myself that I still had class on Monday and Tuesday. Ugh!

Monday, I hand in a Marketing analytical exercise and get some guidelines for my Economics assignment due in a couple of weeks.

Tuesday is an intense day for me.  I start out by waking up at 3:00 am to get ready for school and my 4:00-8:00 am shift for the GMATCH virtual MBA fair.  This time I act as a greeter at the booth.  It was a nice change of perspective from my previous virtual fair where I didn’t get to interact with each booth visitor as much.  After work, I send off my Information Resource assignment before heading to class.  I can be wonderfully productive before 8:00 am if I have to.

Luckily, my Human Resources session is cancelled for the day so after Accounting I am free to go.  I stop by my professor’s office for a few last-minute questions on my Living Document paper before rushing home to finish packing and head to the airport.  At this time I would like to express my love for the Boston Logan Airport.  Having grown accustomed to hour-long security lines back home at good old LAX, I leave my Boston apartment 3 hours before my flight departure.  Yeah, it definitely only took me 15 minutes to get through security.  At least I have time to grab a final Dunkin Donuts coffee and start researching my paper before the flight.

On the plane I force myself to begin my 40+ page Living Document essay and am quite proud that I manage about 3 hours of solid work on it.  By the time I get home that night it is 2:00 am California time, making it 5:00am Boston time.   I have been up for 26 hours straight.

The rest of my break is filled with fun food, visiting my family, hanging out with the boyfriend and seeing friends.  I even catch a movie in between my essay-writing sessions.  It was a much needed reprieve from school and, admittedly, makes heading back a bit difficult.  I know the final stretch of my first semester awaits me, and with it a dozen projects and assignments. Here we go!

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I leave you with a list of Boston things I am grateful for:

·         $1.75 medium pumpkin spice coffees from Dunkin Donuts (I don’t pay tax if I buy it on campus)
·         Public transportation
·         Underground tunnels at Northeastern
·         Amazing food (I honestly don’t think there is a bad restaurant in the entire city)
·         Chilly fall weather and the cute outfits that go with it
·         Seeing rows of brownstone apartments instead of the Mediterranean style houses in California
·         Efficient lines at Boston Logan Airport

*The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Northeastern Univiersity, it's staff or affiliates.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Katrina

    I posted this comment yesterday in one of your September articles, but I guess, posting it here, there's a better chance that it will catch you eye:)

    I'm Anshul. I'm from New Delhi, India. I've applied for the Full-Time MBA Fall, 2011 session and am pretty confident of making it.

    I read your blog. Northeastern sounds so much fun, but the program seems to be pretty hectic. The latest BW rankings makes it even more exciting.

    I'm seriously looking forward to join Northeastern. However, being an international student, placements are of utmost importance to us. So, it'll be really helpful of you, if you can throw some light on the placements for international students, and also the co-op program.

    Also, besides the co-op program, what else differentiates Northeastern from other schools in the same tier?

    Regards
    Anshul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anshul!

    I’m so glad to hear that you applied to Northeastern. I really love it here – even if it is super hectic!

    As for corporate residency placements for international students, we had a 100% placement last year for all students who were eligible and engaged in the process. The only thing to consider is that one or two of the companies that hire for Co-op cannot hire international students because of government contracts. But, as mentioned above, everyone who was actively trying was placed last year. I’ll be starting the process myself in January and am very excited. We also have several companies from very different industries so you should be able to find one that interests you.

    As for job placement after graduation, I’m not sure of the numbers exactly. I know that international students have to consider their sponsorship if they want to work in the United States after graduation. Luckily, I have heard that some of my international friends found companies willing to sponsor them.

    You also asked about what makes the program different than most. To me, it was the residency that sold the program. It’s a full-time, paid, 6-month MBA-level internship. No other full-time program I applied to offered that. Plus, it’s a nice way to make some money and take a break from school in the middle of all the coursework.

    Another thing that really stands out to me is that Northeastern requires an international field study. This is a 3-credit course you take overseas during 10 days. We get to visit local companies, MBA programs and tour cultural sites. This year, our options are to visit China, Russia, India or Argentina/Brazil. I applied for the India program and will find out this Friday if I was accepted. One of the cities we would be visiting is your hometown of New Delhi!

    Finally, something I love about Northeastern that many students overlook is class size. Northeastern has a relatively small first-year class of 71 students. My Section (the students I take all of my courses with) is only 35 people. This has been a huge benefit for me because I get personalized help with assignments, my residency search and more. In a large school I probably wouldn’t get as much support.

    I hope this helped some! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina,

    I have really enjoyed reading your blog! I absolutely agree with you - this is the exact information prospective students are looking for!

    I am applying for the full-time MBA this year myself, and I was wondering if you would be willing to chat, or answer a few questions over e-mail. If so, could you please drop me your contacts at suad.mammadkhanli@gmail.com?

    Thank you so much for your blog once again!

    Best,
    Suad

    ReplyDelete