Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's a Virtual World and I'm a Virtual Girl

This week I had the opportunity to work The Economist's virtual MBA fair! A virtual MBA fair is exactly what it sounds like: a digital version of what we used to do in person but without all those pesky direct human interactions.  Reality is so 2009.  A couple of weeks ago I had never even heard of a virtual fair and then, there I was, holding a group chat session on networking during your MBA to a bevy of online avatars.  I was thrilled to speak with potential students from around the world and help them see why I love Northeastern.  The whole experience was actually pretty fun - save a few ‘characters’ who felt that text speak was an appropriate way to communicate and correcting guests who told me how much they wanted to go to "Northwestern".

That night I try to go to bed early since I’ll be hosting another Economist virtual fair tomorrow morning.  The only problem is I have become all but nocturnal.  I don’t think I could go to bed before 10:00 pm if I tried!

Tuesday I am in full Northeastern salesperson mode- both inside and outside of my job scope.

I start my day by waking up at the crack of dawn to host another group chat for The Economist virtual MBA fair – this time from 6:15 am to 7:30 am.

After dragging myself through class I am delighted to welcome the MBA program's annual Harvest Festival. The Harvest Festival is held on the third Wednesday in November. It is a thanksgiving-style feast put on by the school including whole turkeys and hams, a bevy of potato products, veggies, cranberries, pies and a million other goodies.  It was so nice to have a real meal with all of my classmates and professors before rushing off for the break.

After the Harvest Festival I make my way to the Starbucks in the Curry Center to meet up with a prospective student who had attended my Human Resources class last week.  We discussed the program, how I came to choose Northeastern and I answered any questions she had.  It was a great meeting and I’m planning on getting together with her in the future to discuss the program further.

Wednesday morning I received an e-mail reminding me that I had an executive lunch with the CEO of Au Bon Pain.  I was thrilled because I had been on the wait list and was never notified that I was now officially on the guest list.  However, I was not in business attire at all and began panicking and planning how I could rush home between classes to change.  Unfortunately, it was all a mistake and I was not actually confirmed for the lunch.  I’ll admit that I was a bit bummed.

Luckily, one of my learning teammates was able to attend and came bearing gifts for our group's 3 hour accounting essay marathon.  She had been given cupcakes from the CEO that haven’t even been released yet! They were amazingly delicious and a formidable foe to my diet.  Later that day I walked past an Au Bon Pain and what was displayed in the window as “coming soon” but those cupcakes. Oh dear...

That night I head over to a friend’s house for dinner and some drinks (I know, on a Wednesday night!).
It was great fun and an out-of-character display of disregard for a school night.  I get home around 11:30 pm and buckle down on some of my case studies.  Sometimes you need to throw caution to the wind.

After class on Thursday I head to the office of the professor’s leading the India International Field Study trip. He had generously agreed to discuss some travel destinations with me. Unfortunately, we miss each other, but I’m able to reschedule a meeting for after the break.  I’m very excited to get an insider’s perspective on the country.

After that I make an honest effort to stay on campus and finish work but I simply cannot stay awake.  I head home for a glorious one- hour nap before returning to campus for my first Insider Insight session.  Luckily, this information session did not disappoint! When I walked into the room it was covered in toys! From Nerf guns to Jenga sets and My Little Pony, the room is wonderfully colorful and fun.  Each seat is donned with playdoh and we spend much of our time answering trivia questions for prizes. Somehow I don’t think the Raytheon session was as vibrant.  I spend the next couple of hours listening to a panel of three Hasbro employees as they discussed their company, job responsibilities and upcoming projects.  I even came home with a Littlest Pet Shop set; one of my favorite childhood toys.

That night, I head over to my peer mentor’s house for what she promises to be an exotic dinner.  It’s great to see her again as she prepares to re-enter school after her six-month residency.  Her husband cooks up a delicious Balinese dinner complete with authentic satay sauce and homemade spicy toppings. Yum! Plus, hearing her class lineup for next semester has me excited for my second year of grad school.

Friday is our last Career Management class of the semester.  While I actually enjoy Career Management, I won’t lie that I’m thrilled to have three-day weekends from here on out. As final projects start piling up, it will become exceedingly necessary.  Our final class is a nerve-racking one for me.  It’s all about corporate residency.  As I sit there I begin preparing for the competitive internship search and wonder how everything will play out.  Questions race through my head.  What if I apply to the same job as a friend?  How do you juggle that?  While I want everyone to get their dream co-op, what happens if someone has the same dream as I do?  I start to lose confidence when I size myself up against my classmates.  The first round of application dates has also been set.  Starting January 18, jobs will be posted.  What's more, the career fair is February 8th, as are our first round of interviews.  It’s all happening so fast!

After class we hold our second official Marketing Club meeting.  I will admit our attendance numbers are substantially lower than before, but I’m excited to present all of our opportunities to the group.  Let’s see how many people I can lure into joining my Massachusetts Horticultural Society consulting team.  I also get started on our Marketing Club holiday party.  The room is reserved and now I just need to get some bodies into it.  I think free food should do the trick.

Saturday morning I wake up early and head to Jamaica Plain for breakfast with a friend.  Oddly enough, Jamaica Plain reminds me of Seattle.  I think it’s the brightly colored houses in purple and pink combined with the plethora of organic food markets.  That morning we discover a true eatery gem; Sorella’s has the most extensive breakfast menu I have ever seen.  With no exaggeration, at least 15 flavors of French toast, 10 variations of pancakes and 20 types of omellettes grace the pages of their menu.  Glorious!  I opt for a seasonal offering of eggnog French toast.

The rest of the day is spent at home doing homework and cleaning my apartment in anticipation of the Thanksgiving break.

Sunday morning I head to the gym (it has been a week!) and then pay a visit to the laundromat - laptop and marketing assignment in hand.  As always, I somehow manage to spend 3 times as long on my work as I would like and I don’t have time to get to everything.  Oh well, I guess my 40+ page Living Document assignment will have to wait- yet again.

*The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Northeastern Univiersity, it's staff or affiliates.

No comments:

Post a Comment