Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Shadow Day with my Executive Mentor

Third Week of Class
(January 23-29)

I'm back on campus early the Monday after my Montreal trip to help out with an Admitted Students Day at Northeastern. I really enjoy meeting the prospective MBA students of the Class of 2014 and try my best to mingle with all of them and answer their respective questions.

I spend the rest of the morning doing homework before my Global Management class where we discuss a case about Danimal (an offshoot of Danone yogurt). This case was particularly interesting to me because it discussed marketing and selling to the 'bottom of the pyramid' segment of the population (people living on less than $3,000 a year).

In Brand & Advertising Management we discuss the results of our consumer interviews. It's pretty fun to hear about each students interviewee and their respective brand passion (let's just say there were many Apple and Starbucks fans out there).

Tuesday is hectic for several reasons. One: my first case write-up for Finance is due and I am totally nervous. Two: I have a job application due which I want to make sure is as perfect as possible (yikes, can you believe that I'm already applying to full-time jobs?). Three: I'm meeting up with a friend for coffee somewhere in that madness.

Fortunately, all get accomplished and I even manage to sneak in that hour-long coffee break with my friend (a recently-graduated MBA student that I met during a class visit two years ago when I was a prospective student). It's super exciting to hear about her job search and all the offers she's received. Let's just hope I'll be as fortunate!

My Intercultural Effectiveness Rating
On Wednesday before class I complete a survey by the Kozai Group regarding my 'Intercultural Effectiveness'. This survey was assigned by my Global Management professor as a basis for a class discussion next week. I end up being scored as an 'Explorer' meaning I "enjoy developing friendships with and learning about people who differ from me, but that this is an emotionally challenging experience for me." Hmmm... don't know if I agree with the 'emotionally challenging' part but otherwise I'd say it's right.

Thursday is another crazy day. Besides eight hours of work, I also have a team meeting for a case write-up, New Product Development class and my first NUCALLS Spanish class!

In New Product Development we had to submit our first assignment of the class: contributions to an ideation community. This activity was the basis for learning about crowdsourcing: where companies generate ideas for new product development from individuals outside of the organization. Our assignment was to find such a crowdsourcing site, contribute an idea of our own and comment on an idea from someone else. I found a site for Starbucks called My Starbucks Idea.

Unfortunately, our professor is out sick for today's class so instead, we have a great guest speaker that talks to us about different ways to brainstorm ideas and leads us in exercises on thinking outside of the box.

After class I literally run to my Spanish class which is held across campus. As mentioned, the course is put on by NUCALLS, a student organization that offers free language courses taught by international students. I thought it would be an awesome way for me to keep my Spanish skills 'in shape' after several years of slacking off. Plus, I'm super happy that they offer levels beyond just 'beginner'.

Friday I'm up at the crack of dawn to board  the 'T' to Quincy for a shadow day with my executive mentor. I'm so stoked because he and I have been trying for several months to coordinate a day where I can come to his offices but with both of our hectic schedules it hasn't happened until now.

The wait was well worth it though and my day is super rewarding! My mentor graciously takes me to three of his office locations, introduces me to several of his employees and even lets me sit in and contribute during a meeting. We end the day with lunch at a Chinese restaurant where I get a call regarding the job I applied for. They inform me that I have been invited to interview next week!

When I get back into the city around 5:00 pm I quickly get ready and meet a friend for drinks and dinner at Jerry Remy's. I order up an obscene serving of nachos and my friend and I catch up on the past week.

Saturday morning I'm back at the library early before meeting my team at 1:00 pm to work on our case presentation on 3M for our Innovation and Enterprise Growth class. We have been tasked with coming up with innovative product extensions for 3M's Greptile technology which is currently used on golf gloves. Our ideas are about as varied as you can get and range from military uses to tires and even clothing!

Now that's what I call a home-cooked meal!
After the group parts ways I get in a few extra hours of homework before meeting up at a classmates apartment with several of my teammates for German food, drinks and dessert (all prepared by a classmate). I'm totally impressed with his cooking skills and have a great time.

Alas, Sunday is not funday...ugh. It's nose to the books nearly all day and I only manage to break away briefly for some grocery shopping.

*The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Northeastern University, its staff or affiliates.

No comments:

Post a Comment