Thursday, October 13, 2011

Goodbye Graduate Marketing Club!


Week 15 (September 19-25)

This week at work I continue to plug along on my project of researching the procurement of parts for F414 engine testing. I try my best to stay on top of individuals who promised me data but soon realize there are only so many times one can call or send e-mails before seeming stalker-like. I also make a vow to improve my communication with individuals in the group after learning that a task I had been working on had already been completed by another team-mate. I felt so silly for having done the same work twice! But I take all of this as a valuable learning lesson in project management and teamwork.

On Tuesday I sneak away with my work team for a celebratory lunch at Red Rock Bistro in the nearby town of Swampscott. What are we celebrating, you ask? Well the submission of that large international proposal! You see, with everyone being so busy it has taken a couple of tries to get the whole group together. It was wonderful to enjoy a nice meal of lobster rolls and chowder while taking in views of the Atlantic Ocean and chatting about things besides work.

When I get back to the office I begin work on completing a compliance plan for Canada, only this time it’s for a Technical Assistance Agreement (TAA) rather than a marketing license. I enjoy learning even more about the compliance plan process involved in obtaining this more complex license.

Later that day I also put my former newspaper page design skills to work by drafting up a mock poster as part of the PM Council's initiative to keep the office informed on critical financial and product introduction processes. While I only have Microsoft Publisher at my disposal, I still manage to have a great time researching the rules surrounding the use of the GE monogram, color schemes, fonts and more on the Brand Central website.

In my down-time I finish up my report-out presentation for the Northeastern University Career Center Director’s visit this Friday. I’m excited because this time my boss will be able to attend as will a classmate who missed out on our last report-out.

Tuesday after work I jet to campus for a Marketing Club meeting with the first-year MBA class. This is the meeting where we will officially hand over responsibility for the club to the new students. It’s a little bittersweet as the former President, Secretary and I all reminisce on what we accomplished with the club during the past year. We elect a new President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer and make sure they feel comfortable with their new roles. I wish them all the best of luck!

Later that week I hand over a draft of the many country descriptions I compiled for my boss. They included information as far-ranging as each nation's political parties, history and the size of their air force. He seemed to like them and even requested that I add two additional countries to the list. I set about prettying-up (yes, I made up that word) a binder to house them all in.

During the week I also try out a potential new transit option to work: the bus. You see, I was reluctant to ride the bus after having had some trouble with it not showing up at designated stops, but after doing some research and talking to fellow employees who use it, I have decided that starting October I will switch my pass from the Commuter Rail to the bus for a savings of $70 a month. Today's dry run is just to make sure I can handle the trip before committing. Luckily, I survive with the guidance of a fellow Northeastern student.

On Thursday I work on a matrix/reference chart outlining the fine line between licensed production categories for my boss' upcoming trip overseas. He will use the guide during proposal discussions with our international client.

I also take on the rather frightening task of helping a Senior Financial Analyst in my department compile descriptive statistics that compare currency conversion rates over several years. I can't help but have a major flashback to my Statistics course last semester. While I do spend a good while attempting to complete the task on my own I, admittedly, get some help from an undergraduate Northeastern Finance co-op in a nearby cubicle. In doing so, I learned some great new functions in Excel from someone far more skilled in the matter than I!

That night in my Market Research class I get my first taste of working with SPSS, a statistical analysis software used in marketing research. We all bring our laptops to class and practice on a set of real data from a local company. It reminds me so much of Minitab and all of my work with that software package last semester for my interdisciplinary project. I look forward to mastering SPSS and adding it to my toolkit of skills.

During my lunch break on Friday I borrow my cube-mates car for my interview with a reporter from The Boston Business Journal. With my hectic schedule there was really no other time that I could chat with the newspaper. I spend about a half-hour answering questions about my background, goals, etc. The reporter tells me to expect the issue to be on newsstands in about two weeks. I’m so excited but a bit nervous about how she will portray me in the profile.

Photo courtesy of Mary Alice Hewitt
Saturday I wake up early to participate in the Walk for Children’s Hospital in Rhode Island. A friend who is co-oping there picks me up at 8:00am. The event is super fun and includes tons of free swag, complimentary Dunkin’ Donuts and entertainment. Plus, I managed to exceed my fundraising goal, with a final collection tally of $285! 

After our grueling 3-mile walk (note my sarcasm), it is, of course, time to refuel with a trip to Friendly’s. I’ve never been to the East Coast creamery and am told I am in for a treat. I'm glad I scooped up a serving of their pumpkin pie ice cream that weekend because not even a month later I come to find out that the company has filed for bankruptcy!

You know, being domestic - Photo courtesy of Mary Alice Hewitt
That night I assist my friend in cooking up a dinner of pork chops topped with apples from last weekend’s jaunt to New Hampshire and for dessert: homemade apple crisp using more of our fall harvest!This is enjoyed while watching Bridesmaids and imbibing in some vino. Fabulous!

Sunday I reach out to a first-year MBA student I met during the Marketing Club hand-off meeting after learning that she used to work at Dunkin’ Brands. As we all know, I have slightly more than an unhealthy obsession with the brand so I saw this as an excellent networking opportunity. I hope to hear back from her so I can rack her brain on her experience there and any suggestions or further connections she may have for me. See kids, networking isn’t just to be explored with employers and those outside of our program; it can be done with your very own classmates too!

*The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of GE Aviation, Northeastern University, their staff, employees or affiliates.

No comments:

Post a Comment