Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Let the Residency Games Begin!

In case you are a new reader, here's a little run-down on what the corporate residency program entails here at Northeastern: All first year MBA students are required to participate in a paid, six-month internship at a corporation as part of the programs graduation requirements.  In the past, students have completed residencies at such firms as Staples, State Street and IBM.  First year students begin their residency search during their second semester.  This is where I stand; smack dab in the middle of that search. 

So without further ado, here's what last week looked like for me:

There is no school on Monday so I spend the day catching up on homework and e-mailing past and present employers so that I can start composing a reference list for my residency search.

I also meet with a second year MBA student from Nepal with experience in the travel industry. She graciously agrees to coffee at the Starbucks in the Curry Center. We spend the next couple of hours talking about travel in Nepal, her family’s tour company and her experiences working in the industry.  Our conversation gets me very excited about my upcoming trip and I can’t wait to start booking my flights, hotels, etc. Alas, that will have until I secure a residency.

Tuesday morning I dutifully continue my new morning library routine (admittedly 30 minutes later than last week). I start my Thursday readings for Strategy and my Statistics homework assignment.

That morning I was also notified that I had been invited to participate in the first round of interviews for the Hasbro corporate residencies I applied for. The three interviews will be held tomorrow afternoon.  I’m so excited but know I have a lot to do in preparation for tomorrow. Wish me luck!

It’s hard to believe that, two weeks into class, Wednesday is the first Operations class of the semester (remember our wonderful snow day last week?). I’m excited to meet our professor, especially since he will be leading the India trip in May. I’m also curious to see how our Operations and Supply Chain Management professors will draw the distinction between the two courses. From my novice perspective, the two seem inextricably dependent upon one another.

After class I rush to the grad lounge for our monthly third Wednesday lunch.  I grab a couple of slices of BHOP pizza before making my way to the Stearns Center for my interviews.

I have three interviews in a row, one each for US and Regional Brand Marketing, Global Brand Marketing and Global Consumer Insights. I really enjoy speaking with each of the interviewers and hope that I represented myself well.

After interviews I run out to grab some beverages for our Marketing Club speaker event. Our guest is a Northeastern graduate who founded the Marketing Club and is currently working in the field of marketing.  The alum graciously explains his current job in advertising, his ventures into entrepreneurship and answers all of our questions about the industry and his time at Northeastern. He is very laid-back and we all enjoy his presentation while munching on a catered dinner from the Cheesecake Factory (got to love that $3,000 club budget).

I don’t leave campus today until 8:30 pm and my homework books don’t crack until 9:30pm. Needless to say it’s a long night and I don’t drift off to sleep until past 1:00 am.

Thursday after class I join my Marketing Club consulting team for a meeting about our pending project. I have determined that I need to delegate responsibility a bit better and set out to find volunteers to take on a team leader role.  In fact, delegating is a key managerial skill I have designated as a personal development focus in my Living Document.  What better time to start than now?

Luckily, a team mate steps up to the proverbial plate and I breathe a sigh of relief.  The group as a whole does some brainstorming for marketing plan options and I jot down a preliminary list. Despite our progress, I’m feeling the time crunch. You see, I’d love to get the campaign out before the Massachusetts Horticultural Society’s Blooms flower show in March.  I guess I can’t be too overzealous...although, maybe with my new delegating skills, I can.

Friday sees another 8” of snowfall, but, much to the dismay of the class, we did not receive that much-anticipated cancellation text from Northeastern in our morning inboxes.

In Career Management we learn about behavioral and unique interview questions.  We split up into sections and practice some behavioral questions on the spot in front of our section. While it was very nerve-racking to expose yourself to a large group, I think the experience was quite beneficial. After all, if you can answer personal questions in front of your peers, it should be pretty easy to answer them to just one interviewer.

After class I meet with my career adviser to review my cover letter and resume for a Global Product Management position at Staples that’s due on Tuesday. When I get home I hit send, proud to be so ahead of the deadline.

The rest of my day is spent on some retail therapy. While at the mall spending my Christmas gift cards like it’s nobody’s business, I get an e-mail from the Career Center that I have been invited to proceed to round two of interviews at Hasbro! The positions I will be competing for are the US and Regional Brand Marketing and Global Brand Marketing residencies. I’m ecstatic and, admittedly, a bit nervous.  The interviews will take place in Rhode Island on February 4th and include round robin interviews and a case interview.

After a relatively unproductive Saturday in front of the computer, completing only two assignments, I spend the evening with friends at Trattoria Toscana in Fenway.  I get a deliciously indulgent bowl of gorgonzola gnocchi sprinkled with walnuts. What a wonderful way to stay warm.

Sunday my productivity finally kicks in.  I crank out my homework for Monday and Tuesday, drag myself to the Laundromat and run a ton of errands that take me from the Pru to Newbury Street to the end of Massachusetts Avenue and back.  Phew! Goodbye first week of school with your relaxed schedule. It was nice knowing you.

P.S. - Please feel free to post any comments or ask me any questions you may have.  I'd be more than happy to answer them.

* The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Northeastern University, its staff or affiliates.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Katrina,

    Your blog has helped me tremendously in my research on Northeastern Uni's MBA and am more than wanting to get in. Thanks for putting up such detailed events.

    All the best for your India trip, let me know if i can help you with anything in Delhi before i report into you as a jr in NE Uni this year, hopefully.

    Best,

    Vikas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katrina,

    Your blog makes me go "wooooooow!"
    It really gives me a sense of the experience you are having at Northeastern. I really look forward to being there at Northeastern, especially after reading your post.

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Amar

    ReplyDelete